Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Plumbing Don'ts!

  I know it's been over a week since Thanksgiving but maybe some of you still have some leftovers sitting in the fridge in some tupperware ready to be thrown out.

DO NOT put them down your garbage disposal!  My husband and I were watching t.v. and they said this time of year is the busiest time of year for plumbers because all the silly mistakes people make while cooking so much food.  Since my husband is a plumber (more of a pipe fitter, welder, but still a plumber) I get lectures of what not to do all the time I thought I would share a few simple rules he has shared with me.

DO NOT:
Do not put oil or any kind of grease down the your disposal.  This will cause a messy build up you do not want to deal with.

Don't put egg shells down your disposal.  Many people believe egg shells are good for a disposal that it is suppose to clean them or something, this is NOT true.  This will actually cause a cement like build up in your disposal, and will be very expensive to fix.

Peel potatoes, yams, and anything else that you peel over your garbage can, NOT your garbage disposal.  Sure a few peels here and there would be fine going down your disposal, but if you get too many down there the peels will cause a sticky paste and clog your disposal.

Leftover food in your fridge that needs to be cleaned out of your  tupperware, throw out any food in the garbage BEFORE you clean the tupperware in the sink.  If you don't need to put excess food down your disposal, then why would you?  This will help keep those expensive plumbers away!



   A helpful tip my husband taught me to keep your disposal smelling clean is to fill up both sides of your sink with soapy water after doing the dishes and letting the disposal run til the water is gone.  It keeps it clean, and smelling fresh.

I hope these tips help your disposal make it through the holiday months!

No comments:

Post a Comment